Saturday, September 9, 2017

Saturday Showcase: Mister Miracle


    It's Saturday, September 9th and it is time for another Saturday Showcase here at Derf's Domain.  For today's showcase I was actually inspired by a new series showcasing a classic hero.  I was reading issue #1 of Mitch Gerads version of Mister Miracle when the idea hit me to feature him in my next showcase.  So, here we are.

    For those of you who don't know, Mister Miracle was created by the late and great Jack Kirby as one of the new gods in the DC Universe.  He first appeared in Mister Miracle #1 back in April of '71.    He was originally introduced as part of the Fourth World series, such as the New Gods, but actually outlived the other titles by an addition seven titles.  something about Mister Miracle stuck out with the fan base, which allowed him to be in other titles such as the Brave and the Bold, DC Comics Presents, and appearances in all the Justice League titles until landing a reoccurring role in the Justice League International series.


    It was in the JLI, that I believe my love for Mister Miracle grew. I was not even a thought in my dad's mind when he was first introduced to the world of comics.  But I was a huge Batman fan which led me to discover the Justice League International which in turn introduced me to my favorites such as Mister Miracle, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, and Guy Gardner.


    I know, I know, exactly who is Mister Miracle?  Well, the original Mister Miracle was a man by the name of Thaddeus Brown.  A well-known escape artist who was also a mentor to the talented Scott Free.  When Thaddeus, was murdered, Scott toke over as the hero known as Mister Miracle.  After his adventures with the JLI, Scott put the mantle of Mister miracle down to be with family and friends.  He also took in an escape artist named Shilo Norman to show him the tricks of the trade.  Which led to Shilo being the 3rd man to go by the name Mister Miracle.  However, Scott Free will always be Mister Miracle to me as well as true fans of the character.  In fact, in the new run of Mister Miracle by Mitch Gerads and Tom King, Scott is the bearer of the Mister Miracle costume and is trying to find his place alongside his wife, Big Barda.

    I highly recommend reading the new Mister Miracle series, in fact I give issue #1 of the series a 10 out of 10 rating.  But to truly understand and enjoy the character of Mister Miracle, I recommend going to your local comic store, comic con, hell even Ebay to pick up some of the older titles that star this amazing hero. I definitely, would pick up some of the Justice League International trades that are available.

First Appearance: Mister Miracle #1, April 1971

Created by: Jack Kirby 

Team Affiliations: Justice League

No comments: