Saturday, November 25, 2017

Saturday Showcase: Guy Gardner

   
    Anyone who knows me knows that I am a huge Green Lantern fan.  I am a big fan of the Hal Jordan era, but I have to say I really dig the Guy Gardner era as the Green Lantern.  I realize he is a big fixture in the DC Universe, but I feel Guy still doesn't get enough props and that is why he is the focus of today's Saturday Showcase.

    Guy had a huge role in the '80's era of DC Comics, but he was first introduced to us in March of '68 in Green Lantern Vol. 2 # 59.  Originally he was created by Gil Kane and John Broome but some changes needed to be made to increase his popularity.  So, his appearance was changed thanks to Joe Staton and Steve Englehart , and it was his run in the '80's that really caught the reader's attention.  

    I think I first really liked the Guy Gardner Green Lantern while he was a member of the JLI or Justice League International with fellow members Blue Beetle, Mister Miracle, and of course Batman.  Guy and Bats really didn't see eye to eye which made for great reading.  Anyone who follows comics is aware of the one punch story that occurred between Bats and Guy.  For you new comers, here is the panel in which I refer.


     The famous "One Punch" occurred in Justice League International #5.  

    Besides the Green Lantern Corps, Guy has been affiliated with the Red Lanterns for a short while.  He was able to keep his rage in check and used his time with the Red Corps for good in the long run.  And as you already know from the above panel, Guy was also a member of the Justice League International.  While a member of the JLI, he meet the one true love of his life with fellow member, Ice.


    JLI Team Photo (More members would be added later including Fire and Ice)

        Even though Guy has made appearances in several comic titles ( including his own) as well as a few animated series and some video games,  he has never reached the full potential that his character has.  He should be in film in my opinion. One day perhaps, one day.

No comments: