Saturday, September 29, 2018

Saturday Showcase: Spider-Man Doopelganger

Maximum Carnage
    With the release of Marvel's VENOM film, I thought I would showcase another baddie from the Spider-Man universe.  There is a long list of notables, that is for certain, but I wanted someone who is twisted and evil like Carnage and Venom, so I chose the Doppelganger.

    The Doppelganger first made his appearance known back in '92.  The issue of his birth was Infinity War #1 and his creators include Jim Starlin, Ron Lim, and Al Milgrom.  He became "popular" when he teamed up with Shriek and Carnage during the Maximum Carnage story-line.  That story-line was so popular, that it became a highly demanded video game with the Doppelganger as one of the level bosses.

Spider Kick!
    I feel that I am beginning to stray from the importance of the Doppelganger.  He was just truly a bad ass villain.  No one got into Spidey's head like his Doppelganger.  Why?  Because he represented what Peter feared most.  Peter always feared that his mutations where not complete and deep down inside he thought he would eventually become the monster that the Doppelganger represented.


    Another reason I love the Doppelganger is the simple fact he made for one kick ass figure.  When Toy-Biz launched the Spider-Man animated line, Doppelganger was the figure everyone wanted.  Hell, I still have mine.  I mean, look at the picture below and tell me that isn't kick ass.


    My only wish is that toy lines like Funko and Marvel Legends create new versions of the Doppelganger.  Hell, if they made him into a Funko Pop, I would buy everyone I see.  He just has that cool look.

Surprise!
    His abilities include superhuman strength, agility, stamina, reflexes and speed.The ability to adhere to solid surfaces, The ability to produce razor-sharp organic webbing and hardened talons.  This made him the perfect killing machine.  

    My wish is to someday see the Spider-Man Doppelganger on the big screen or in a new video game or app.  I would definitely love to see his return to toys as well as a possible diorama or statue.  You hear that Marvel?  Get to work!

                            Until next time, get your READ on!

No comments: