Saturday, November 10, 2018

Saturday Showcase: the Champion

Who can stand toe to toe with the CHAMPION?
    Normally, when I chose my Saturday Showcase character I look back on my childhood instead of recent characters that you may see in apps or games.  Today is special because this character fits in the realm of my childhood as well as for the kids of today.

    As many of you know, I am a huge NERD and I play games (when I have the time) that focus in the realm of comics.  Well, one such game I play is the Contest of Champions app from Marvel.  When I saw the latest champion spotlight, it took me back to when I was a kid and I couldn't wait until the latest issue of Marvel Two-in-One hit the shelves.  You see, today's showcase made his first appearance in a Marvel Two-in-One annual and he is simply known as the Champion of the Universe.

The Champion as seen in Contest of Champions
    The Champion was born Tryco Slatterus.  He has been around for billions of years.  In fact, he is one of the Elders of the Universe.  Tryco is known as the Champion because he believes in settling matters in a competition to see who is the best.  And as we all know, he is the Champion of the Universe so I would say it is a safe bet he hasn't lost a battle.  

    He was first introduced to us in 1982 with the release of Marvel Two-in-One Annual #7.  He is the brainchild of Tom DeFalco (writer) and 
Ron Wilson (artist).  In the Marvel Two-in-One Annual, the Champion took on a variety of Earth's mightiest heroes, eight to be exact.  The fate of teh Earth was in the balance. He fought and won against the Earth's finest but it was the Thing that saved us all.  He gained respect for the Thing because of how he carried himself in battle.  It was this respect that saved the Earth from annihilation.  

First Appearance: Marvel Two-in-One Annual #7
The Champion's Abilities include:
  • Superhuman strength
  • Superhuman endurance 
  • Superhuman agility 
  • Superhuman reflexes
  • Invulnerability 
  • Master of countless fighting styles and martial arts forms
    The Champion has fought in many battles and will continue to fight until the end of time.  He has fought members of the Avengers, X-men, Fantastic Four, as well as the Silver Surfer and Thanos.  He shows no sign of stopping or losing.

    So I say this, Bravo to Contest of Champions!  Bravo for spotlighting such a treasure from the Marvel Universe!  Thank you for allowing me to go back in my childhood and collect this gem all over again.  My advice to any Contest of Champions players who may be reading this - if you get the Champion from a crystal, put him in your starting line-up.

Until next time, get your READ on!

The Thing earns the Champions respect. *As seen in M2N1 Annual #7

No comments: