Saturday, November 3, 2018

Saturday Showcase: Nimrod


    Nimrod is a fictional character who first appeared in Uncanny X-Men #191 and was created by writer Chris Claremont and artist John Romita Jr.

    Hailing from the "Days of Future Past" timeline, Nimrod is a powerful, virtually indestructible descendant of the robotic mutant-hunting Sentinels. Nimrod is a mutant-hunting Sentinel from an alternative future and was created by the Sentinels ruling that timeline. When Rachel Summers travels backwards in time to the present, he follows Rachel.

    While on the hunt for Rachel, he comes across the Uncanny X-Men.  It was here when a memory formed in my young mind that made me a fan of Nimrod.  The classic battle between Nimrod and the Juggernaut, is forever etched in my mind.  When I saw the cover of Uncanny X-Men #194, I was intrigued and when I read the pages within, I was hooked.

the Uncanny X-Men #194
    Never before has anyone dealt a blow to Juggernaut like Nimrod did.  He made Juggernaut looked like a chump.  It took Rogue absorbing the powers of several of the X-Men to even present a challenge to Nimrod.


    Eventually the X-men were victorious and were able to "put him down".  Nimrod, however. was far from being down and out.  He would return time and time again to be a pain in the side of all mutants and their supporters.  I mean, he is a sentinel after all.

Nimrod 2.0 takes on Cable and the X-Force

Powers/Abilities:
  • Superhuman strength, durability and regeneration (Took on the Juggernaut)
  • Energy projection
  • Computer interfacing
  • Shapeshifting (To appear human until he is ready to attack)
  • Teleportation (Not time travel, just from place to place)

Affiliations:
  • Purifiers
  • Sentinels

Notable Aliases:
  • Nicholas Hunter
  • Oracle
  • Rod Walker

First Appearance: the Uncanny X-Men vol.1 #191 (March 1985)

Ambush (As seen in Uncanny X-Men # 209
    Well, I hope you enjoyed my spotlight on Nimrod.  I only hope that he has a future in the X-Universe.  Since he was created by the Sentinels and was a member of the Purifiers, I would love to see him appear on The Gifted.

Until next time, get your READ on!


No comments: