Sunday, March 17, 2019

Saturday Showcase: St. Patrick's Day Edition - SHAMROCK

Marvel Comics Presents #24
    I realize it is Sunday and not Saturday, but I wanted my St. Patrick's Day post to be special.  That is why I decided to wait until today to post it.  The star of today's showcase is Molly Fitzgerald aka Shamrock.  She is a hero that some of you may not have heard of, but was a pivotal character in my comic reading as a child.

    Shamrock first appeared in Contest of Champions #1 (June 1982). She also appeared in issues #2-3 of the series (July–August 1982).  I was all about the Champions of Earth battling it out.  When I saw the cover to issue #1, I had to get it.  Then, as I read it, I fell in love with all the heroes created for the battles between Team Death and Team Grandmaster.

First Appearance: Contest of Champions #1
    Molly Fitzgerald was born in Dunshaughlin, Ireland.  As Shamrock, she serves as a vessel for displaced poltergeists and souls that have died as innocent victims of war.  These spirits are the source of her power.  They manifest themselves for fractions of seconds to cause good luck for her and bad luck for those who oppose her.

Captured by Arnim Zola (MCP #24)
    Shamrock is possessed by the souls of thousands of victims of wars who manifest themselves as poltergeists which affect probability within a 20-foot radius of her, altering situations so that she is given an advantage, in essence having "The Luck of the Irish".

Shamrock
Shamrock's Vitals

First appearance:  Marvel Super Hero Contest of Champions #1 (Jun 1982)

Created by Mark Gruenwald, Bill Mantlo, Steven Grant, and John Romita Jr.

Alter ego: Molly Fitzgerald

Species: Human Mystic Mutant

Abilities: Probability Manipulation

ROM #65 - Diversity Outreach Program
    Although Shamrock is on a list of heroes that Marvel probably wants you to forget, I feel she needs to be celebrated.  I feel since she made her first appearance in Contest of Champions, see needs to make an appearance in the game of the same name.  I understand if they don't put Molly or the Shamrock in a feature film, but they need to at least have her do more cameos in comics or like I said, make her a playable character for the Contest of Champions App.

    Well, that ends my rant about Shamrock. I hope you enjoyed learning about this forgotten hero.  

Until next time, get your READ on!

No comments: