Saturday, January 4, 2020

Saturday Showcase: Impossible Man

the Impossible Man
    It's a my first showcase of 2020 and I wanted to make it spectacular.  So, I put some thought into who I was going to showcase and I couldn't pick just one.  So, I went to the movies with some friends to clear my head.  Before the movies, we went to a local bookstore and I came across a Marvel trade that was on sale and the light bulb in my head went off and my heart exploded with delight.  This was the answer I was looking for.  The trade was a collection of the one and only Impossible Man.  The Impossible Man is one of my favorite characters every to grace the pages of the Fantastic Four and X-Men.  So, without further rambling, here is my Saturday Showcase of Impossible Man.

the many talents of the Impossible Man
    The Impossible Man is a Poppupian from the planet Poppup and has shape-shifting abilities. The Impossible Man character is mainly used for comedy, portrayed as a lonely, attention seeking alien that often annoys those around him, especially the Fantastic Four. The Impossible Man first appeared in Fantastic Four #11 (February 1963), and was created by writer Stan Lee and writer/artist Jack Kirby. 

1st Appearance: Fantastic Four #11 ('63)
   The Impossible Man's alien physiology gives the character the ability to take on virtually any form via molecular rearrangement, an effect commonly accompanied by a "Pop!" sound effect. He can mirror the properties of objects or super-powered beings he shape-shifts into.   The nickname, the Impossible Man, actually came from the fact that the Thing once called him "impossible".  He also has the ability to teleport across vast interstellar distances and even dimensions.

    The Impossible Man once battled the New Mutants' Warlock to determine whose shape-shifting ability was superior, a contest Warlock won when he showed he was able to change his colors to match those of the forms he mimics, while the Impossible Man could not.  This was not the case when he first appeared, he was able to change his colors but for some reason Marvel thought it would be best if he could not.  Besides shape-shifting, he has an encyclopedic knowledge of Earth's popular culture. Which he uses to "bore" is adversaries at times.

Impossible Man Vs Warlock
VITALS:
Publisher: Marvel Comics
First appearance: Fantastic Four #11 (Feb, 1963)
Created by: Stan Lee (writer) & Jack Kirby (artist)
Species: Poppupian
Team affiliations: Lethal Legion
Abilities:  Shape-shifting and super-power mimicry
                 Teleportation

                 Possesses encyclopedic knowledge of Earth's culture

Round 1
    Well, I hope you enjoyed this showcase about the "villain" known as the Impossible Man.  He was one of my childhood favorites and I would love to see him make some kind of appearance in a future Marvel Studios project.

Until next time, get your READ on!

No comments: