Sunday, January 31, 2021

Derf's Picks - 2021 Royal Rumble

 


    Before I share my picks for the 2021 Royal Rumble, I just want to thank Pat Patterson for creating this annual event.  Pat Patterson was a GENIUS!  Thank you Pat for all the past, present, and future Rumbles that we all love and enjoy.

    Now, down to business.  This year's Rumble promises to be one of the greatest of all times.  What will happen?  Who knows?  but that is what makes the Rumble so much fun. Let's start with the booked matches before we get to the Rumbles themselves.

  • WWE Women’s Tag Team Champions Charlotte Flair & Asuka vs. Shayna Baszler & Nia Jax
        It's no secret that the team of Jax and Baszler want their titles back but they will have a fight to get them.  The Queen and the Empress are a powerhouse team and that is why they are tag champions.  Nia will try to win by force and Shayna will try to be a submission machine but Flair and Asuka are just too much too handle.  The only way I see Asuka or Flair losing is if they turn on each other. Though I doubt that will happen, it would make a good WrestleMania story.

Winners: Asuka and Charlotte Flair

  • SmackDown Women’s Champion Sasha Banks vs. Carmella
        Carmella has clashed with Sasha to try to get the Smackdown Women's Championship for months.  Carmella is a talented  wrestler and former champion but I feel the Boss is just too much to handle. I feel this will be a battle and Carmella may try to cheat to win but I think Sasha has her number and will walk out the champion.

Winner:  Sasha Banks

  • WWE Champion Drew McIntyre vs. Goldberg
        In my opinion this match should have never been made.  Goldberg is under contract, true, but he shouldn't get a title shot.  Sheamus or Keith Lee deserve a shot not Bill.  Don't get me wrong, I was a Goldberg fan back in the day, but the WWE needs to stop bringing blasts from the past to contend for titles.  The roster is too talented and too many people are overlooked.  I am sure WWE creative has made plans for Goldberg to win but my faith is in the chosen one to pull through this battle and remain champion.

Winner: Drew McIntyre

  • Universal Champion Roman Reigns vs. Kevin Owens (Last Man Standing Match)
        I am not going to lie, this is the match I am looking forward to.  Kevin Owens is the perfect nemesis to the Head of the Table, Roman Reigns.  I feel that Owens will pull out the win in this match. I also feel this will be a blood  bath.  Both men hate each other and will use that hate to destroy.  This will be a fight and that is why I feel Owens will win.  However, his victory will be cut short when the tribal chief finds a way to win the Rumble to challenge Owens for his title.

Winner:  Kevin Owens

  • Men's Royal Rumble Match
        The Men's Royal Rumble is going to be interesting this year.  First of all, we have Edge and Orton as the first two entrants so that in itself should be interesting.  However, it's the entrants we don't know about that may fuel the fire.  With the Fiend not being seen in some time, I look for his return.  Hell, we may see Wyatt more than once like we saw Mick Foley do back in '98.  We could see the Eater of Worlds, Firefly Funhouse, and Fiend personas of Wyatt in one match.  Who will win, who knows.  So, for this match I am going to pick a surprise entrant who will dominate.  This surprise entrant is someone I want to see back in action and take the WWE  by storm and challenge the Head of the Table Romain reigns.

My Pick: Samoa Joe

  • Women's Royal Rumble Match
        There is a lot of buzz surrounding this year's women's rumble match.  One buzz is that we may see Rousey again or even Lynch.  Anything's possible but I don't think it will be a factor.  We may see Trish, Lita, or even Mickie as a n entrant but I think the story will revolve around the Queen and the EST.  I think the final three ladies will be Charlotte, Rhea, and Bianca.  Charlotte will come close to victory but Ripley will take that away from her just like the Queen took victory away from her at WrestleMania.  I also feel in the confusion that Bianca will take advantage and get the win.

My Pick: Bianca, the EST for the win.

No comments: