Monday, June 28, 2021

Artist Spotlight: An Interview with Peach Momoko

Boy, do I have a treat for you today!  I was lucky enough to interview one of the hottest comic book artists in the past 2 years.  Her artwork is amazing and selling of the shelfs as soon as they hit.  Of course I am talking about the very talented Peach Momoko.  It was both an honor and a privilege to interview this talented artist.  With that said, let us begin.

Derf: At what age did you discover your artistic talents?

Peach Momoko: I am still learning so I have not finished discovering.

Derf: As an artist myself, I can relate.  What artist(s) inspired you?

Peach Momoko: Sorry, I have too many so I do not list anyone in particular.

Derf: That's understandable.  How long did it take you to figure out your style?

Peach Momoko:  I do not know what my style is. I do not like to “define” a specific style. 

Derf:  What was your first piece of artwork published worldwide?

Peach Momoko:  I was published in a horror magazine called Girls and Corpses magazine. Then my work appeared in  Heavy Metal Magazine and then, Marvel Comics


Derf:  When you got into making comic book variant covers, which one was the first to be published? 

Peach Momoko:  My first published major variant cover is Marvel Rising.

Derf:  I have several favorite covers that you have done.  Do you have a favorite?

Peach Momoko:  They are all very important so I cannot choose a favorite. 

Derf: You also have a trading card set out there, who came up with that idea?

Peach Momoko: Upper Deck presented the idea.

Derf:  Do you find doing a variant cover easier to do than a trading card?  Do you have a preference?

Peach Momoko:  I don’t see anything easier. I try to treat every project equal or a challenge more than the last project. 

Derf:  That is very admirable.  I really enjoyed your Demon Days comics.  How did that concept come to be?

Peach Momoko:  Around 2018, I was already working with Marvel and had a dinner meeting with them, so I gave a pilot comic to CB Cebulski. After 2 years of working mainly on covers with many publishers, on October 2020, I got a e-mail about starting Demon Days. It was a very sudden and amazing day!

Derf: Some artists do commissions in their spare time. I know you are remarkably busy, but do you offer commissions? If so, how can one contact you? 

Peach Momoko:  Sorry, I do not do commissions at the moment. I only plan to do commissions once I can go to a comic convention (pick up only)

Derf:  Well, the way things are looking worldwide, we may see you at a Comic Con sooner than later.  One last question, do you have any suggestions for new and upcoming artists?

Peach Momoko:  Just keep drawing everyday. You never know when opportunities rises.



I want to thank Peach Momoko again, for taking the time from her busy schedule to answer these questions.  

Until next time, get your READ on!

No comments: