Saturday, May 30, 2020

Derf's Discussions: My interview with the talented Jermaine Rivers

Jermaine Rivers as Shatter from the TV series, the Gifted

    As many of you know, I was a writer for the site SomeWhatNerdy.  I did the majority of my interviews for that site.  Well, the times are a changing and the site is no more.  Sure, you may find some old active links but the site itself is no more.  So, I decided that I would go back to my roots and do my interviews for my blog once again.  I needed a new title for my interviews and I needed someone special to focus my first interview back on my Domain.  So, my interviews are now called Derf's Discussions and that someone special is Jermaine Rivers.  Jermaine is the actor who brought life to his character Shatter on the hit series the Gifted.  I am honored that Jermaine agreed to do this interview.  It was really a blast and I hope to have future discussions with him in the future.  I have rambled on too much, so here is my discussion with the great Jermaine Rivers.

At what age did you know that you wanted to be an actor?

I think I was around 10 years old when I caught the acting bug. I was always running around the house re-enacting scenes from my favorite films and TV shows. I had the kind of memory that if I watched something once and if it was really good, I would remember all of the lines. I know I drove my parents NUTS, but at least it paid off… plus, I still know all the lines to the Goonies and The Last Dragon.

Jermaine Rivers


I love the Goonies!  What was your first role?

My first legit acting role was back in 2012 playing a Deputy Sherriff in a dark comedy called “Killing Winston Jones” directed by Joel David Moore (Avatar) and starred Richard Dreyfuss and Danny Glover. Unfortunately, the film didn’t do well at the box office, or get that much press but I got to work with and learn from two legendary actors early in my career.

I bet they had a lot to say.  My followers will know you most as the mutant Shatter from the series the Gifted.  What was it like playing a mutant?

It’s no secret that I’m a comic book geek since way back, so getting the opportunity to play a character like Shatter and be part of the X-Men Universe was a dream come true. Shatter was hands-down one of my favorite roles to step into. After landing the role I had several conversations with (Shawn Martinbrough) the Illustrator and Co-Creator for the Morlocks, trying to get as much insight on the character as I could. This was going to be the first on screen adaptation for the character and I didn’t want to be the guy to screw it up. I wish we could’ve explored the character more in the series but all good things must come to an end.

I agree,  I wanted to see more from Shatter.  I know from following you on Instagram that you are a fan of comics.  What are some of your favorite titles?

From DC, Legion of Super Heroes (1980’s), and Green Lantern “Darkest Night Series”.  From Marvel, I loved collecting The Amazing Spider Man, Spectacular Spider Man, Anything Spider Man. I also loved reading the Avengers (East and West Coast), and couldn’t get enough of the Secret Wars, Infinity Stone Sagas of the 80’s and 90’s.

I loved the West Coast Avengers, especially the Moon Knight years.  I also noticed that you read from a variety of publishers, but I got to ask…Marvel or DC?

I love reading from both universes but, if we talk films … The MCU has been kicking ass the last 10 years.  However, I have to admit that I much prefer to watch DC animated films over Marvel’s.  Cartoons like Justice League War and Superman/ Batman Public Enemies have definitely raised the bar in animation.

I agree, Marvel Studios has better live action but DC has cornered the market on animated films.  Do you have a favorite comic themed series that is a must watch for you?  Besides the Gifted of course, lol.

Daredevil on Netflix is probably the best comic book themed series that I’ve watched. I enjoyed it so much I recently re-watched the entire 3 seasons. The Flash and Black Lightning are also really good shows that I plan on binging once their new seasons are available.

I love Black Lightning!  Are you a gamer?  If so, what platform do you use?  Any favorite games?

I’m definitely not a gamer, in fact I still have the first version of the Xbox console and have been playing and beating the last two levels of the original Halo game (repeatedly) for the last 10 years.

Nothing wrong with that.  During the Covid Quarantine, I have Netflixed and Chilled quite a lot.  Two of my favorite movies were Den of Thieves and Hangman. What was it like to work with such an amazing cast?

The cast on both of those films were amazing to work with. I was fortunate to work alongside a legend like Al Pacino on Hangman who dropped more than a few gems during our conversations on set. As an actor I’m always looking for opportunities to push, stretch and improve myself in the craft. I think the only way you can do that is by surrounding yourself with people who are so good at what they do that you can’t help but learn a few tricks from them during the process.

Den of Thieves

That must have been amazing!  I also know that you have worked with Tyler Perry on several projects.  What was that experience like?

Tyler Perry is one of those guys that when you work for him you can’t help but get better as an actor. Anyone who’s worked on a Tyler Perry project knows that he shoots REALLY FAST! He expects his actors to be off book and get it in the first take, which is not a problem if you’re like me and do tons of prep work in advance. I was extremely fortunate to book a recurring guest star role on two of his series “The Haves and Have Nots” and “If Loving You is Wrong.” He directed me on both of those shows and I had great experiences each time.

My mother loves the show “The Haves and Have Nots” by the way.   What have you been doing during the Quarantine?

I’ve been working on a few screenplays and playing catch up on some really good shows I missed last year like “The Mandalorian.” The Quarantine has added a few pounds so I’ve been working out and trying to stay fit, so when productions start back up, I’ll be ready to do my thing.

The Mandalorian is awesome!  What projects will you be working on next once the “ban” is lifted and the country returns to “normal”?

I have two films that should be released this year, The Royal and Freedom’s Path. So, I will most likely be doing a lot of press once the ban is lifted. The one film that I’m most excited about is “Freedom’s Path” which is a period piece set during the civil war. I play a character named (Dee) who’s a runaway slave and member of the underground rail road, helping other slaves to escape captivity and find freedom in the North.

I am looking forward to seeing you in Freedom's Path.  I love historical films.  If you could portray anyone on film, who would it be and why?

I would love to do a biopic on Floyd Mayweather. He’s an interesting character with a very interesting backstory. It would be fun to step into his shoes and tell his story. Plus, I would have an excuse to punish my body and get back into boxer-shape again.

I can see you playing Floyd Mayweather.  Getting back to comics, if you could portray any hero or villain in a comic film, who do you see yourself portraying?  I think you would be perfect as Green Lantern John Stewart.

I would love to step into the role of Green Lantern John Stewart. in fact, I know I would kill it! I think John and I have a lot in common. We both served in the military and are partial to the classic western film “Old Yeller.” There’s one other Marvel comics character that I would love to play and it’s Elijah Bradley aka The Patriot. Since Cap retired in the MCU it created a void that has to be filled. Sam Wilson “The Falcon” isn’t the only hero of color to assume the mantle of Captain America. Isaiah Bradley the first Patriot did as well. He along with his grandson (Elijah Bradley) are among the short list of heroes inspired by Steve Rogers example, and received a version of the super soldier serum. I read an article that mentioned how Ryan Coogler showed interest in bringing the Patriot character into the MCU during the initial drafts of the Black Panther, but decided to focus more on a Wakandan centered storyline. Hopefully we’ll get a chance to see this character in the MCU in Phase 4. If that happens… Kevin Feige, holla atcha boy!


That would be awesome!  The Patriot is an important character as well as role model that needs to be explored in the MCU phases.  If you were not an actor, what would you do as a profession?

Elijah Bradley aka The Patriot


If I could no longer act, I would do the next best thing … write! I’m actually a published author with three novels to my credit titled The Nemesis Chronicles.


I'll have to check them out!  Do you have any advice for the next generation of actors?

I’d have to echo a statement made by Sir Ian McKellen when he admonished young actors for mumbling. I watch a lot of movies and TV shows and have to agree with him. I’ve been on sets where young actors mumbled their lines or was more focused on looking pretty. My advice to anyone who desires to work in this industry is to commit to the craft and Speak Up, words have power and your voice is one of your most valuable instruments. Stay in your lane and let the directors and crew members do their jobs. Most importantly, learn your lines and don’t bump into the furniture!!

That's great advice!  Because I know you are a Comic “Nerd”, who would win in a fight…Superman or the Hulk?

Using the original 1938 Infinitely less over-powered Superman, against the original 1960’s version of The Hulk. I’m giving the win to old Green Genes by way of a knock-out followed by a 10 minute “Hulk Smash” ground pound on pajama pants.

I have to agree! 

I just want to thank Jermaine Rivers for taking the time to discuss his acting and hobbies for all of us to enjoy.  This interview is the first of many, so stay tuned.

Until next time, get your READ on and unleash your inner NERD!

No comments: