Saturday, July 21, 2018

Saturday Showcase: the Trench

the Trench 

With all the excitement from Comic Con and all the new trailers, I thought I would use to showcase the Trench monsters from Aquaman.  In past showcases, I have talked about characters that have been around for years, but after watching the trailer, I wanted to talk about the Trench.


Arthur and Mera battle the Trench creatures
For those of you who don't know, the Trench are a long forgotten race of underwater predators that evolved from one of the three surviving kingdoms of Atlantis.  The other two kingdoms being the Xebelians and Atlantians of course.  (From the trailer it appears all 3 kingdoms are represented)  The Trench have loyalty to the Dead King, but they will follow whoever wields the Dead King's scepter.  Orm thought it was powerful and that is what controlled them where as Arthur thought the sight of the scepter made them follow due to tradition and loyalty to the Dead King.

Outnumbered, just the way Arthur likes it.
The Trench first appeared in 2011 during the New 52 days of the DC Universe.  They were created by Geoff Johns & Ivan Reis.  The trench was also used by King Orm in his war with the surface world and Justice League.  Honestly, the Trench story line is what made me realize how much of a bad ass Aquaman really was.  So when I saw the SDCC trailer for Aquaman and saw the Trench monsters in it, I knew I had to write this post and share my approval.  I am excited to see the film, not only to see the Trench but to see how they are used in the film.  

In the end, the Trench are some bad ass mofos and I am glad it didn't take years to get the recognition they deserve.  If you haven't seen the trailer yet, please feel free to watch it here and now.


Until next time, unleash your inner NERD!